That doesn't look right.

 Boy-this past week has been quite a mess. Covid finally hit our house and we were all placed on quarantine. I received my Honor Cords for Graduation on Wednesday-I was elated! Thursday-brought the news that Graduation had effectively been cancelled. I was devastated...my weekend was turned upside down and the time at home proved to be much needed-except for the trip to the Emergency Room.

Our oldest daughter, Klaire, had an accident Sunday afternoon that sent her to the emergency room. I am lucky enough to work on the Medical Team at our State Facility and have learned much about injuries and wound care. Thankfully so, because I was able to recognize that something was wrong with her arm. Without a second thought, I stabilized her arm and fashioned a sling that would keep her immobile until she made it to the hospital. As a member of the medical team, it is required that I go through a CPR Course and also do First Aid Training. I think back to those annual classes and how silly I thought they were, but now-I am SO THANKFUL for the research and quick, informative care that was presented to me-it wasn't so useless this weekend! After 2 days of comfort care and lots of pain meds, we found our her supercondyal fracture wouldn't require surgery-and her doctor said it was partially because I acted quickly and stabilized her arm to prevent further injury.

Obviously I am not a nurse nor have I been to nursing school, but I have learned so much from watching others take care of the sick and injured-which is all too important right now. We are in the midst of a huge technological "revolution" if you will, when it comes to distributing information and conveying important facts or research. In the healthcare world, it is crucial to receive information quickly as many times we can be put into a life or death situation. But now, getting information out quickly and effective is even more critical-because of Covid-19.

Being a person is one thing but being a parent and having to learn SO MUCH about SO many things can be scary and overwhelming, but luckily there have been so many changes as to how information is researched and presented. How bizarre is it that a few decades ago first-time parents were instructed to take several months worth of Lamaze classes before childbirth, and now many mothers enroll in a one day course to practice birth techniques, or simply watch some You Tube videos! While some of these outlets cannot replace that sound medical advice from medical professionals (or other professionals) technology is making it easier than ever for many to receive information, rather than a few.

When I think about working with my families, this is something I've had a lot of luck with Rather than handing out weekly newsletters, I would rather post several key tips on our school facebook page throughout the week, or send out a group text to my parents showing an infographic on fire safety, etc etc. By finding a way to get out these kinds of things quickly and effectively, AND interesting-people are much more likely to respond appropriately.

So even though this last week could certainly be one I'm ready to forget very soon, I'm so glad that I remembered those bullet points I received on a key tag from First Aid Class that day...RICE. Rest, Immobilize, Compress and Elevate. Without those 4 key things, my daughter may have needed surgery-and mama would have needed a much stronger drink to make it through that day :) See you all next week!

Comments