Ready or Not

Monday was tttooouuuggghhh this week A weekend at the Lake was just what I needed, and the kids and I definitely did not want to come home! Still, I couldn't help but stare in amazement as we sat around the campfire our last night at the camp. Kevin ad I have been married for 9 years now, and together for almost 11. We knew early on in our relationship that we wanted to have a family but we had no clue that family was going to happen far earlier than we expected.

We lost our oldest child about 10 weeks into my pregnancy. I had only known for a couple of weeks and we were just getting over the shock of expecting a baby, when I started bleeding. I won't ever forget the day that we were told our baby was gone. I still think about that day-every day, and wonder what our baby could've been. Somehow, life went on...others around us acted as if it never happened at all. Our wedding planning continued and we had a wonderful wedding later that fall. Life went on. Little did we know, we would soon be receiving a belated wedding gift!! 9 months later, our oldest daughter-Klaire-was born.

I have always been passionate about parent education, especially when it comes to newborns and toddlers. "That's my jam" is what I'll tell families when they ask how I can photograph Littles with ease. I've worked in Early Ed for my whole life and my heart belongs with kiddos ages 5 and under. The funny thing? There are some days that I have NO CLUE what I'm doing as a mom!!!! In my other life, the teacher life, I feel at ease working with children and their families. Still, thinking back to when our oldest was born, we were terrified. If it wasn't for the support we received, I'm not sure how we would've ended up! Additionally, new challenges appeared with the arrival of our second and third children, so even when you think you know? You don't!

I'm so blessed that we were given the opportunity to be parents, especially after having a front row seat to my sister and her extensive fertility issues. Even though our journey began bumpy with a miscarriage, it was a rare occurrence for us. My sister, however, was found to have a genetic abnormality that caused her to spontaneously abort. She has now been pregnant 6 times, but has 2 living children. My heart breaks for her and the countless others who struggle to grow a family.

You'll hear people talk about the right time to have a baby and start a family. Do you want to know the secret? There IS no right time!!! Life will always throw you curve balls and unexpected realities. You will always be busy, you will always need to save more money, etc. There are always so many things to consider, including those you may not even realize, such as infertility. Regardless, pregnancy and the first year of life are such an amazing, incredible, scary, rewarding, time. Now, as we enter another new era in parenting, we're met with the same scary uncertainty-Adolescence! Just remember, things WILL get better, you WILL get through it, and it WILL be worth it in the end :) 

Have a great weekend!

Comments